Trauma, PTSD, and Anxiety
Do I Need Trauma Therapy?
You go through the motions of daily life and most of the time you’re doing okay, but other times you feel disconnected, spacey, or forgetful. You go from feeling numb to feeling intense anger, fear, or sadness. These feelings seem to come out of nowhere and confuse you. When you’re overwhelmed, you get irritated and snap at others but then you immediately feel guilty and mad at yourself. You recall negative childhood memories and wonder if it was abuse but then immediately scold yourself for “being dramatic.” You tell yourself it wasn’t that bad, yet you struggle to move past the trauma. All trauma is valid and no trauma is too big or small to work through!
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder & Complex Trauma
You struggle in relationships and respond to stress by shutting down or being too reactive.
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) can develop after you’ve experienced a traumatic or disturbing event. Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (CPTSD) results from exposure to repeated traumas throughout life. Both PTSD and CPTSD can create issues with self-esteem and relationships.
Examples of trauma include, but are not limited to, childhood abuse, domestic partner abuse, childhood neglect, abandonment, witnessing domestic violence, being raised by an emotionally withholding parent, being the victim of psychological/emotional manipulation, sexual assault, experiencing any life threatening event, and exposure to direct combat.
- Trouble focusing or concentrating
- Experiencing “brain fog”
- You or your surroundings don’t feel “real”
- Frequent worry, fear, easily startled or agitated
- People pleasing
- Feeling depressed
- Perfectionistic behaviors, overly organized or structured
- Trouble sleeping, nightmares
- Physical pain: stomachaches, headaches, muscle aches
- Trouble in relationships
- Feeling guilt and shame
- Low self-esteem, overly critical of self
- Avoiding people or places that cause stress
How Can Trauma Therapy Help Me?
You’re not broken. Through therapy you can begin to heal and live the type of life you want. With therapy you can:
- Understand trauma responses
- Feel less anxious and depressed
- Improve your concentration, be able to enjoy the moment
- Improve relationships and recognize trauma bonding
- Discover helpful ways of coping with strong emotions
- Discover ways to create a sense of safety and calm
- Improve your self-esteem, decrease self-loathing and self criticism
- Feel more connected and whole
Get Started with Psychotherapy
You can feel at peace and have hope. Contact me today to get started with therapy for trauma and anxiety! Offered online in Tennessee and Georgia!
Online Locations: Nashville, Tennessee – Brentwood, Tennessee – Atlanta, Georgia – Sandy Springs, Georgia – Greater Tennessee and Georgia Area