Narcissistic Abuse in Relationships
Narcissistic Abuse Examples
You fell in love so fast. They were charming and said all the right things. You felt happy and warm with their affection, but just as suddenly as the good feelings began, they stopped. Your partner became cold, withholding, and mean. You don’t know which side of your partner you will get each day. The charming, affectionate side or the cold, mean side. It feels as if they are two different people.
Every time you try to express your feelings or needs with your partner, it turns into an argument. Somehow everything gets twisted back on you. You often leave these conversations feeling confused, guilty, and anxious. You ask yourself “Am I the narcissist?”
Signs of Narcissistic Abuse:
- Fluctuations of praise and affection followed by periods of criticism, blame, and accusations
- Your feelings are continuously discounted or trivialized when expressing a need or opinion
- You often feel your are to blame/in the wrong during disagreements
- You are told your memory is incorrect
- You are told you’re too sensitive, dramatic, or to “get over it”
- You often question your reality and judgment
- You feel isolated from family and friends
- You often feel a lack of empathy and understanding from this person
- You feel like you are walking on eggshells
If you can relate to any of the above, then it is possible your are in an unhealthy relationship and could be experiencing narcissistic abuse. Narcissistic abuse occurs when one partner experiences ongoing emotional abuse and manipulations from another partner who displays narcissistic traits. Please note that not all individuals who have Narcissistic Personality Disorder or exhibit Narcissistic traits are abusive and not all individuals who abuse have Narcissistic Personality Disorder. If you are experiencing physical violence/abuse, please call the Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-799-7233. To report child abuse or neglect in Tennessee, please call: 877-237-0004.
How Therapy Can Help with Narcissistic Abuse
I specialize in helping women and men recover from narcissistic abuse. If you want to feel like yourself again and experience joy in relationships, therapy can help!
Recognize early warning signs of narcissistic abuse
Break the cycle of narcissistic relationships
Increase your self-worth and decrease feelings of guilt/shame
Recognize manipulation tactics
Decrease anxiety and depression
Feel like yourself again
Get Started With Therapy!
Life can be lighter and more enjoyable. You can feel happy and have hope. Contact me today to get started with therapy for narcissistic abuse recovery! Offered Online in Tennessee and Georgia.