Feeling Overwhelmed? It Could Be Anxiety.
Your mind is flooded with thoughts. Thoughts about what you have to do that day, thoughts about things you’ve done in the past, thoughts about what could go wrong in the future. This constant flow of thoughts makes you feel overwhelmed and irritable, and paralyzed with worry. Suddenly making any decision or doing any task becomes exhausting. You could be struggling with anxiety.
Signs and Symptoms of Anxiety
– Loss of motivation – Feeling irritable or easily frustrated – Panic – Obsessively fixating on tasks – Avoiding others – Negative thoughts – Easily startled – Difficulty concentrating – Constant worry – Feeling restless
Tips To Help Cope With Anxiety:
- Notice the physical signs of anxiety: The body often communicates feelings of anxiety before the mind does. If you’re feeling tension, tightness, it could be your body’s way of letting you know you feel anxious. No matter how busy you are, it’s important to take a moment and engage in deep breathing or stretching exercises to help calm and center the body. Once the body is relaxed, your thoughts and emotions will calm as well.
- Recognize unhelpful thoughts. Thoughts such as “I can’t handle this” or “This is impossible” can increase stress and anxiety. When experiencing a thought, ask yourself if it’s helpful or not. If the thought is not helpful, give yourself permission to allow the thought to pass without giving it meaning or judging yourself for having that thought.
- Make a to do list. If you feel there is too much to do and not enough time to do it, making a list can help you prioritize tasks. Making a list can organize feelings of chaos by providing a realistic visual of tasks that need to get done.
- Ask for help! There is no need to struggle alone. Maybe you need help crossing off items on your to do list or maybe you need emotional support. Either way, let others know how they can best help you when you feel overwhelmed.
How Therapy Can Help With Anxiety
I provide individual therapy for individuals struggling with anxiety in Nashville, Brentwood, and Franklin, Tennessee. Through therapy you can:
-Recognize and understand the underlying causes of anxiety
-Feel less stressed and overwhelmed
-Feel less reactive and irritable
-Live more in the present
Get Started With Therapy For Anxiety
Please contact me today to learn more about how therapy can help you manage and cope with anxiety and worry.
Online Locations: Nashville, Tennessee – Brentwood, Tennessee – Atlanta, Georgia – Sandy Springs, Georgia – Greater Tennessee and Georgia Area